Monday, April 21, 2008

Lucky


This evening for FHE, the girls played on our scooters while Jared mowed the lawn and I supervised (the girls). Coco ran right into Jared's car and fell down and skinned 2 knees and 2 ankles. I was a little frustrated since this happens almost every time we go outside. As she cried emphatically, I impatiently put on her 99th bandaid for the month and I commented on how she always skins her knees. Then, with a lurch, I felt a pang in my heart. My dad, before he died (I was 11 years-old), wrote a letter to me saying,

"I regret ever so much that I will not be able to see and know your children so I could order them around and spoil them like grandparents do, indeed, that I couldn't stay on earth to bandage your knees and wipe away your tears and hold and comfort you."

That pang of regret I felt tonight as I remembered his words in my impatience touched me. I miss my dad. I'm grateful that I GET to take care of my healthy, beautiful girls. How lucky I am that I GET to bandage their knees and wipe away their tears and comfort them. I can't wait for my dad to know them someday--he'll get a kick out of them, don't you think?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kerrah said...

You shouldn't make me cry like that. It's so hard sometimes to see the big picture while raising these little people. The mundane things get so old sometimes, but it will all be worth it in the end. Last night on the news, there was a little boy who contracted spinal menengitis, and has been in the hospital since he was about 9 months old. He was just learning to crawl, and is now blind, and has lost his hearing, and much of his functions. He is now 12 months old. It really hit home, as I watched my precious baby sleeping next to me, I could not imagine something like that happening. I prayed, like crazy, I won't ever have to deal with something like that. Needless to say today I have been more patient and grateful for the messes, screaming and chaos, it could be so much worse!!!! I love ya girl, and kudos to bandaids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully thats the worst we'll have to deal with!

P.S. the news story was mostly about the family's blog and how it has kept their friends and families in touch with what is happening with him. There should be a link on www.ksl.com.

Kathy said...

I think your Dad is already watching over you all and loving on you in spirit. What a precious letter he wrote you.

Anonymous said...

You are SO lucky - blessed to have those beautiful girls to put bandages on and give them loves, etc. I love your insightfulness and your sharing your family and feelings.

Anonymous said...

No fair making me cry this early in the morning. At least I dont' have any make up on yet. Thanks for sharing your sweet feelings.