Sunday, August 9, 2009

Admittance, Ambulance, Asthma. . .and Flarp??

For journaling purposes let me re-live the account of our little Zion McKoy's journey to asthma. For months she had been struggling with her breathing and she was diagnosed with pneumonia about 3 times in the past year. We were always given the same drugs to relieve her but no one seemed to know the answer to why she kept getting sick. We knew something was awry when we were visiting Coco's best friend, Reagan, on July 30. Coco fell asleep with rapid, shallow, wheezing breathing and a very fast heartbeat. Once we got home I gave her something to take away her fever and gave her a nebulizer treatment that has always seemed to work in the past. It didn't this time. Jared took her to the hospital that night where she was admitted with pneumonia. After a few hours in her room there, the doctors were extremely worried because despite feeding her 100 percent oxygen her heartbeat refused to slow down and her fever was getting worse. Next stop--Vanderbilt Children's Hospital where she was transported via ambulance.

Once at Vanderbilt, she was admitted and they were better able to care for her and diagnosed her with asthma which is something we had only recently suspected. Now we know.

I should probably write a whole other post for this but I'll say it here since I don't have pictures. WOW! I am so impressed with my ward family. They really were there for us just as a family would be in a circumstance like this. Jill took Bryn and Scotlyn for the day to the zoo. Sally took me to the hospital (I would have never found it without her), Cristina, Gayle, Janet, and Urquia brought us wonderful meals. My visiting teacher, Gail, came over and weeded our front yard. The Bishop and his wife (Sally) came back again to the hospital to bring Coco gifts and see how she was doing and so many others called and wanted to help. I just can't thank everyone enough. I really understand what the meaning of a ward family is now and I want grow up to be just like my ward sisters!

When Sally came bearing gifts Coco got pretty excited about the pink bag and all that was in it. Her favorite thing in it, of course, was FLARP. The stuff is gooey and green and when you stick your fingers in it you hear the sound of toots. Coco thought this was the most hilarious thing ever. Whenever a doctor or nurse came in the room she hurried and grabbed it and did her business and laughed hysterically. It has been a big hit in our family ever since. I highly recommend this product!

Exhibit A. Flarping for personal enjoyment.
Exhibit B. Finger position when flarping.

Exhibit C. Demonstrating the loudest impact by putting your arm way up and then flarping.

3 comments:

Hannah Holt said...

I'm so sorry. How scary! I'm glad you have good friends to take care of you there.

likeschocolate said...

I am glad they have figured out what is wrong with her. My asthma has been really bad this year along with my allergies. I am glad she is ok now. Hugs, Kelleyn

Joanna said...

Poor coco! I am so glad everyone took such great care of you! I am glad she is doing better now. That is way scary!!!